Since its launch in 2009, the ridesharing app Uber has become an increasingly popular mode of transportation. The number of people who use Uber has jumped in recent years especially. In 2015, one-third of American adults had never heard of ridesharing but, by early 2019, over one-third had personally used a ridesharing service.
And no wonder it’s become so popular. The way Uber works is fairly simple; it’s highly convenient for people to use at a moment’s notice, and you don’t need to use cash to pay your driver, unlike with a taxi. In fact, the number of different payment options is an attractive feature for many users, and one of the most exciting ways you can now pay for Uber is with your PayPal account.
Table of Contents
Does Uber Accept PayPal?
Yes, Uber does accept PayPal as a form of payment. If you want to use this payment method, all you have to do is add your PayPal account as a new form of payment to your Uber profile. To connect these two accounts, open your Uber app and:
- Select “Payment” in the main menu;
- Tap “Add Payment”;
- Tap “PayPal”;
- And enter the email address or phone number connected to your PayPal account;
And that’s it! In addition to using it to pay your credit card bill and to transfer money, you can now use your PayPal account to cover the cost of your Uber rides. Keep in mind that this feature is not available in every region or country. If you have any issues with this, don’t hesitate to reach out to Uber directly for additional help.
As a PayPal user, you already have a digital wallet to use for electronic transactions. If you use Uber often enough, you might be interested in a digit wallet specifically for their various services: Uber Cash, the updated version of Uber credits. You can use Uber Cash to pay for any rideshare requests or food delivery, but not to pay for the use of bikes or scooters.
There are a number of ways you can get Uber Cash. You can purchase it in the app, receive credits from Uber, obtain other promotional credits, or buy and load a gift card onto your account. To use part or all of your Uber Cash balance, simply select it on the “Payments Option” screen in your app after entering your destination when ordering a ride or food.
Benefits of Uber Cash
The biggest advantage of using Uber Cash instead of PayPal is in the rewards you can earn. If you are part of the Uber Rewards program, you can get $5 in Uber Cash credit for every 500 points you earn.
You acquire points by using Uber’s various services, and each has a different value. You can earn:
- 1 point per dollar spent on Uber Pool and Uber Eats;
- 2 points per dollar spent on UberX, UberXL, Select, and WAV;
- 3 points per dollar spent on Uber Black, SUV, and Lux;
There’s no limit on how many points you can earn, but there are several restrictions to be aware of:
- Currently, this program is only eligible for customers in the U.S.;
- You cannot earn any rewards on JUMP e-bikes or scooters;
- You cannot earn points on tips given to drivers;
If you use Uber frequently, the benefits of this program likely outweigh its limitations and can make using Uber Cash even better. Further, Uber may offer you additional discounts if you put enough money into your Uber Cash account, so you can get even more bang for your buck.
Other Ways to Pay for Uber
Of course, your PayPal account isn’t the only way you can pay for Uber. The ridesharing service allows for many different payment methods that you can easily switch between in the app, so you can use whichever one you prefer.
- Android Pay and Apple Pay: If you have your credit card information on your smartphone, you can use Android Pay or Apple Pay to pay for your Uber services.
- Cash: Uber was created to be entirely electronic, but they have recently begun to let users in certain cities pay for their rides with cash.
- Credit Card: Credit cards are the standard method of payment for Uber’s services; as a matter of fact, you need to provide your credit card information when creating your account to use the app.
- Debit Card: If you don’t want to use your credit card, you can always use your debit card instead.
- Venmo: Owned by PayPal, Venmo is another digital wallet that is compatible with Uber. This is an especially useful payment option if you want to split the cost of your ride with someone else.
If you’ve maxed out your credit card or lost your wallet, then being able to use PayPal for your Uber expenses isn’t just a luxury, it’s a relief. Having more choices available can help you make the best choice for your finances. And no matter how you choose to pay for Uber or what the state of your finances are, you’ve got plenty of other options to pick from.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!