Like many grocery stores across America, Kroger stores do cash checks. Kroger check cashing is convenient if you don’t have a bank account, or you need to cash a check after bank hours. It’s also convenient for cashing checks when you’re needing to do some quick shopping and your bank is out of the way.
Before you head out to cash your check, there are some things you need to know about the Kroger check cashing policy.
Table of Contents
What Type of Checks Will Kroger Cash?
If cashing a check is a high priority, you’ll definitely want to read this first. Here are the types of checks you can cash with Kroger money services:
- Payroll checks: Paychecks from your employer;
- Government benefits checks: E.g. Social Security benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program checks;
- Income tax refund checks: Refund checks from the IRS;
- Insurance settlement checks: Check from an insurance company in response to a claim;
- Business checks: Any check issued by a business, including rebates, refunds, business-to-business payments, research study payments, as well as payments for blood and plasma;
- Child support checks: Payments from a parent to support the wellbeing of their child.
This means you can cash the following types of checks:
- Cashier’s checks: Issued directly by a bank for an amount that you specify based on how much you have in your account or how much cash you have on hand;
- Traveler’s checks: An alternative to cash, meant specifically for traveling, issued directly by a bank for an amount that you specify based on how much you have in your account or how much cash you have on hand;
- Money orders: Purchased at the Post Office, a bank, or other financial institution.
Does Kroger Cash Personal Checks?
Kroger does not cash personal checks. Kroger also does not cash starter checks or third-party checks. In general, it is important to make sure Kroger will accept your check before you rush off to the store to try and cash it.
Kroger Check-Cashing Fee
To cash a check, Kroger charges:
- $3.50 for checks $2,000 and under;
- $6 for checks valued between $2,000.01 and $5,000.
You can save $0.50 by using a shopper’s card. There might be local or state taxes that may also impact the fee. Be sure to call your local store to find out.
Kroger Check-Cashing Limit
Kroger will cash checks valued up to, but not more than, $5,000.
Kroger Check-Cashing Hours
Kroger money service hours are typically 8 a.m. through 9 p.m., seven days per week. Search for a store near you to find out whether the hours are different.
Wondering whether a store near you qualifies for Kroger check cashing? Here is a list of Kroger stores that do:
- King Soopers;
- City Market;
- Jay C;
- Pay Less;
- Harris Teeter;
- Pick ‘n Save;
- Metro Market;
Department Store (Grocery and Home Goods)
- Fred Meyer.
Warehouse Store (Discount Grocery)
- Food 4 Less;
- Foods Co.
How to Cash a Check at Kroger
Here’s how to cash a check at a participating Kroger store:
- Search for a store near you;
- Locate a relevant form of ID, (driver’s license, U.S.-issued passport, state-issued ID, military ID, resident alien ID, matricula consular ID, tribal nation ID or reservation ID);
- Make sure you can provide your Social Security number or taxpayer ID number;
- Head to the store and bring the check with you;
- Endorse the back of the check so you can cash it;
- Cash the check at the customer service counter.
You’re all set! Now you can enjoy convenient check cashing on the go without having to make an extra trip to the bank.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Our Experts Recently Evaluated The Top 5 Credit Repair Companies Available.