Huntington Bank Review
Huntington Bank has been operating from the same headquarters in Columbus, Ohio, since 1866. There are larger, national financial institutions available, but your money is just as safe with a smaller regional bank. If you’re wondering whether Huntington Bank is right for you, read on to learn more about how the bank works and what features the financial institution offers.
Table of Contents
Huntington Bank Experience
Huntington Bank may be considered small compared to the national banking giants, but there are 700 branches available. There are plenty of convenient features you’d find at other larger banks. They include:
Your Credit Scores Should Be Free
And Now They Are!See My Scores
Customers can access their accounts anytime day or night through the online banking portal or by downloading and installing the mobile banking app. You can also speak with a customer service representative daily between 6 a.m. and midnight Eastern Time by calling 1(800) 480-2265.
With automatic alerts, customers can stay on top of their accounts and watch for unauthorized transactions from their smartphone or tablet. Customers using the mobile app may set up text, email, or push notification alerts for selected activity on their credit and debit cards, checking, savings, and money market accounts.
Asterisk-Free Checking is Huntington Bank’s hassle-free checking account. You can open the account online. There are no monthly fees or monthly balance requirements, and there’s no minimum amount required to open an account. You’ll even get a 24-hour grace period to fund your overdrawn account before you get charged an overdraft fee.
You can add your Huntington Bank credit or debit card to some of the most popular digital wallets, including Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay, so you’re able to pay electronically without having to present your physical card.
Huntington Bank provides mortgages, auto loans, and personal loans. Business banking customers also have access to small business loans. In fact, Huntington Bank is the top Small Business Administration (SBA) loan provider for 7(a) loans.
The Huntington Bank mobile app is easy to use. Mobile banking saves you from long teller lines for your everyday banking tasks. You can add all your accounts and credit products to track your balances and transactions in real time. Send and receive money instantly for free between friends and family using Zelle.
You can find the closest branch or ATM through the mobile app. The mobile app also allows you to deposit checks at any time, day or night, using the mobile check deposit feature. All you need to do is take a photo of your check with your mobile device, and the app does the rest.
Money Market Account
A money market account is a type of savings account that combines checking account features with savings account interest rates. When you open a money market account, you’ll be able to make payments, withdraw money, and earn interest on your balance, as long as you keep at least $25,000 in the account.
Wealth Management Services
Huntington Bank is a full-service bank. You’ll have access to banking products, credit cards, and loans for yourself and your business. Customers with high balances are eligible for Huntington Private Bank wealth management services for individualized guidance from an investment advisor.
Benefits of Huntington Bank
If you’re wondering whether Huntington Bank is the best banking choice for you, consider the following features:
- All Day Deposit: The Huntington Bank deposit day is long, ending at midnight. The extended schedule works to your advantage. You can deposit money at 8 p.m. and it will show up in your account balance the same night.
- ATMs: You’ll have access to 1,500 ATMs, some of which are located at the 700 Huntington Bank branches and 40 Michigan-based Meijer stores. You can also withdraw cash at any non-Huntington Bank ATM nationwide, although you may be charged a fee.
- Free checks: If checks are an important part of your banking, the Huntington 25 Checking account comes with free checks.
- Offers Zelle: Send and receive money quickly and for free with friends and family when you use Zelle. Your recipient will typically receive the cash you sent in minutes.
Issues With Huntington Bank
Huntington Bank isn’t ideal for everyone. Some drawbacks you may want to watch out for include:
- High overdraft fees: Although you have a 24-hour grace period to fund your account before the overdraft fee is charged, once it kicks in, you’ll pay $37.50 each time, up to four times per day. Be careful — the overdraft fee will be charged for any amount over $5.
- Limited locations: Huntington Bank primarily serves a small area of the Midwest. If you need ATMs outside of the small area, it will cost you extra in non-network withdrawals.
- Low annual percentage yield (APY) and certificate of deposit (CD) yields: You’ll need to deposit a high balance to earn the bank’s highest rates. But compared to other banks, their best APY isn’t as competitive, ranging between 0.01% to 0.25% for certificates of deposit (CDs) and 0.02% and 0.55% for other savings accounts (as of this writing). You’re better off depositing your savings into a high-yield savings account.
Who Does Huntington Bank Work Best For?
Huntington Bank is best for Midwest and select East Coast residents. The bank serves the states of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
Small business owners would also benefit from banking with Huntington if they’d like to do all their business and personal banking in one place. Customers with a substantial amount of money in savings or a CD should consider other financial institutions. Huntington Bank’s interest rates are relatively low compared to other banks.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/