- Annual percentage rate (APR): 19.99% – 21.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: None.
- Rewards: One to five points per dollar spent.
- Annual fee: $120.
- Late fee: None.
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (680-850).
- Compare cards here.
- Bonus points on food and travel: Cardholders get two times the reward points on travel, transport, and fuel purchases. They get five times the points on restaurants, bars, cafes, eligible food purchases, and food delivery services. Using the Cobalt for the correct purchases can earn cardholders significant rewards in the form of cash-back bonuses, travel discounts, and gift cards.
- Lots of premium perks: The Cobalt offers access to premium perks from American Express. Cardholders get travel emergency and trip cancellation insurance. Amex Cobalt members get lost bag insurance and rental car insurance in addition to medical insurance and flight cancellation and delay insurance. Members also get $100 worth of hotel or spa credit annually as well as access to ticket presales and other events through American Express.
- It’s easy to redeem points: Cardholders can redeem points in a variety of ways. You can get a statement credit or purchase items or gift cards through the MembershipRewards.ca shopping portal. Travelers can pay for trips through the American Express Travel site or the Fixed Points or the Fixed Points Travel Program. Finally, Amazon.ca accepts American Express points as a form of payment.
- There is a $10 monthly fee: For people who use their card for grocery purchases, eat out at restaurants often, and travel frequently, the rewards points will more than cover the monthly fee. However, those who only use a credit card occasionally will not be able to make up for the $10 per-month cost.
- There is a cap on rewards earnings: There is a cap on five-points-per-dollar earnings. The cap is $30,000, so it will not affect everyone, but some points-earners may be disappointed by this limit.
- You need to spend a lot to get the most out of this card: The 2,500-points-per-month bonus for new users requires you to spend at least $500 per month. Furthermore, you will need to spend at least $3,000 to earn enough for a short-haul flight. If this seems like a lot of money to put on a credit card, then the Cobalt is not the best option for you.
- American Express is not as widely accepted as Visa or MasterCard: While most users won’t have a problem at home, those who travel internationally may be disappointed that American Express is not a payment option in some places.
Table of Contents
The American Express Cobalt Card is a premium credit card that offers rewards on every purchase and higher rewards in specific categories.
The American Express Cobalt card is ideal for people seeking credit card rewards, but some people may prefer a different card that does not require such strict account management.
What Can You Expect From the American Express Cobalt?
Cobalt cardholders have many ways to manage their accounts and contact customer service.
Account Management Tools
American Express has a full suite of apps and account management pages for cardholders. Cobalt users are able to access their accounts via the Amex website or the Amex app and they can contact customer service representatives by phone and online chat.
Amex offers apps and sites that cardholders can use to redeem their points while shopping or booking travel. You do not have to use any third-party sites for account management or points redemption.
Strict Account Management Required
The interest rate is currently 19.99% for the Cobalt, so maintaining a balance from month to month could cancel out the value of any rewards you might earn. Also, late payments could result in at least $25 worth of penalties. Cardholders need to use the tools mentioned above to track spending and manage payments.
To earn a significant number of rewards points, you need to use your Cobalt card often. You’ll need to carefully monitor due dates and payments to ensure there are no mistakes.
Who Should Get the American Express Cobalt Card?
First and foremost, the American Express Cobalt card is for people who will use the rewards points to travel, shop online, or get statement credits. Also, because the biggest rewards are for food and drink-related purchases, you need to use restaurants and bars and food delivery services regularly.
For the Cobalt to be worthwhile, you need to earn more than $10 per month in points (to overcome the $10 per-month membership fee). Also, you need to pay off the balance entirely each month on time so that interest charges do not cancel out the value of the points.
Therefore, the Cobalt card is for people who are serious about earning rewards and using their credit card and who have account management skills to avoid mistakes that could cancel out the value of their points.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!