- Annual percentage rate (APR): N/A.
- Purchase intro APR: N/A.
- Rewards: Personalized offers, cash-back credits.
- Monthly fee: $0 to $9.95.
- Deposit fee: $0 to $3.95.
- ATM fee: $2.50.
- Late fee: N/A.
- Credit check: None
- Compare cards here.
Table of Contents
- Guaranteed approval: The pink Netspend Visa is a prepaid card. Since it is not a credit card, you do not have to undergo a credit check during the application process. People who cannot qualify for a standard credit card can still get the pink Netspend card, which they can use to make debit purchases online or in person. Those who cannot qualify for a checking account with a debit card can likewise get a pink Netspend card.
- Free deposit options: You can avoid deposit fees and lower your monthly maintenance fee by setting up a direct deposit. When you do this, your employer sends your paycheck to your Netspend account, and if the deposit totals more than $500 per month, the monthly fee drops from $9.95 to $5. You can also use the Netspend mobile app to take a picture of your checks in order to deposit them. If you can wait for Netspend to process this deposit, you do not have to pay a deposit fee.
- No activation fee: Unlike some prepaid cards, the pink Netspend Visa does not have an activation fee. If you make your initial deposit using a fee-free method, there are no fees to open a Netspend account. The only fees you will have to pay are the pay-as-you-go transaction charges or the monthly fee if you opt out of the pay-as-you-go plan.
- Optional cash-back rewards and personalized offers: Netspend has an optional cash-back program called Payback Rewards. Cardholders can opt into and out of the program via the Netspend website. Although Netspend does not publish an amount for the rewards, their website says that participants can earn cash back, in the form of account credit, on qualifying purchases. Participants may also receive special offers, such as sales or discounts.
- Does not improve your credit score: One of the reasons that people apply for the pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card is that they lack the credit score to qualify for a traditional credit card. Unfortunately, the pink Netspend Visa does not help them improve their credit score. Since it is a prepaid card, Netspend does not report activity to the three major credit bureaus. Netspend cardholders will need to obtain a different card, such as a secured credit card, to improve their credit score.
- Some deposit options aren’t free: It does not cost you anything to deposit money via transfer from another account, direct deposit, or mobile deposit. However, face-to-face account loading at Netspend reload locations, including stores such as 7-Eleven, costs $3.95 per transaction. You can avoid these fees by depositing your money using free methods, but the convenience of immediate deposits at reload locations will always incur a fee.
- Impossible to avoid all fees: If you opt out of the pay-as-you-go plan, which comes with transaction fees, the Netspend Pink Card has a monthly fee of $9.95. The pay-as-you-go transaction charges are $1 to $2 per purchase. Depending on how much you use your card, the per-transaction option could be more or less than the regular monthly fee. Regardless of your choice, you will always have to pay a fee of some sort for the pink Netspend Visa.
- Difficult to get cash: The pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card offers some similar features to a standard checking account. However, it is impossible to access cash without incurring fees. You can withdraw money from an ATM, but each withdrawal costs $2.50 plus any fees levied by the ATM operator. Face-to-face cash withdrawals are also $2.50. You can avoid these costs by using your card instead of withdrawing cash.
What Can You Expect From the Pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card?
The application process for the pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card is straightforward. You have to verify your identity and provide a Social Security number, but you do not have to undergo a credit check or pay an activation fee. You can handle the application and activation process online.
Cardholders can manage their Netspend card online or with the Netspend mobile app, which includes account alerts, balance information, and deposit features. Netspend also offers face-to-face deposits and withdrawals, though these always incur fees.
Except for the monthly fee, Netspend offers cardholders options for transactions that do not incur fees. However, avoiding these costs requires a bit of effort and planning.
Who Should Get the Pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card?
The pink Netspend Visa Prepaid Card is for people who want checking account features without applying at a bank. If you have a bank account, you may still wish to get a Netspend card if your bank account has higher fees, balance requirements, or other rules that make it impractical for daily use.
Netspend cards are an option for people with a poor or fair credit score who cannot qualify for a credit card. The pink Netspend Visa allows these people to shop online and make in-person purchases without having to carry cash.
The pink Netspend Visa does have fees, but these are, for the most part, similar to the charges you have to pay for any prepaid card. If you do not qualify for a fee-free checking account, cards such as the pink Netspend Visa are one of your best options.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!