- Annual percentage rate (APR): 18.00%.
- Purchase intro APR: None.
- Rewards: 1 point per $1 spent.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: $20.
- Credit score: Poor to Fair (300-689).
- Compare cards here.
Table of Contents
- Excellent rewards for a secured card: It’s uncommon for secured credit cards to have rewards programs. However, true to its name, the Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Secured credit card has a fairly robust point system. For each dollar spent on the card, users earn a point, which is worth approximately one cent. Points can be redeemed for cash, as a statement credit, for gift cards, or for select merchandise. While some other card offers have more lucrative rewards systems, it’s extremely rare for secured credit cards for individuals with bad credit to have such robust rewards.
- Users may upgrade to an unsecured card: Unlike most secured cards, users will automatically be considered for an upgrade after three months, allowing them to spend more than they deposited. After six months of opening a nRewards Secured credit card account, Navy Federal will determine if the cardholder qualifies for an unsecured account. If they do, the user’s deposit will be returned to them and the card will be converted into a Navy Federal Credit Union cashRewards credit card. This can result in a higher spending limit and additional rewards, such as 1.5% cash back on purchases.
- Navy Federal Credit Union reports to all three credit bureaus: If your credit score could use some work, you might need a secured credit card to begin improving your credit. However, not all credit lenders report to all three credit bureaus. This means that your history of on-time payments and wise spending habits could go completely unnoticed, leaving your credit score unaffected. However, nRewards Secured cardholders can be confident that their efforts will be reported to all three bureaus. This will help you actively improve your credit on an ongoing basis.
- High APR when compared to unsecured credit cards: While 18% is an average APR when it comes to secured credit cards (and may be competitive, depending on your credit score), there are plenty of unsecured credit cards with better rates. Individuals with poor credit may not have the widest variety of options, but it’s worth checking if you qualify for any unsecured cards before making a decision. Finally, it’s worth noting that the Navy Federal Credit Union cashRewards credit card — an offer that your nRewards Secured credit card may be “upgraded” to — offers APR rates as low as 9.65%, which is highly competitive.
- Security deposit required: As with all secured cards, you will need to make a security deposit when opening an account. The $200 required to open a nRewards Secured account may not seem like a major issue, but it can present an obstacle to many potential users, such as those on fixed incomes.
- Membership requirement: If you or a member of your family are in the military, an employee of the Department of Defense, or are a veteran, you may be eligible for this credit card offer. If not, you may be out of luck. Note that you’ll need a savings account with NFCU to qualify. If you have questions about your eligibility, you can contact Navy Federal Credit Union at 1-888-842-6328.
In addition to weighing the advantages and drawbacks discussed above, there are some perks that are shared by all NFCU cardholders. While these are unlikely to make or break your decision, they can certainly give you an idea of what having a Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Secured credit card is like. Read more on these perks below.
Available for Android and iOS devices, the Navy Federal Credit Union mobile app offers a number of different features and options for cardholders:
- Make credit card payments;
- Get easy access to account balances and transaction details;
- Pay bills on the go;
- Make automatic check deposits using your phone’s camera;
- Instantly update the PIN of your nRewards Secured card;
- Find nearby NFCU branches;
- Access educational articles on finance to learn more about improving your credit score.
These features give users an enhanced level of control over their spending and make this card an even better fit for those looking to improve their credit.
Other Perks for NFCU Cardholders
Individuals who have accounts with Navy Federal Credit Union have access to additional perks and features. These include:
- Contactless payments: People using this card can make purchases quickly at contactless card readers; all you’ll need to do is tap your card against the card reader to complete your transaction conveniently and securely.
- Cell phone protection: Having an NFCU card can provide additional protection for your phone. All you need to do is pay your monthly cell phone bill with your nRewards Secured account. If your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can file a claim within 60 to 90 days of the event (depending on whether you have a Visa or Mastercard). In return, your phone may be repaired or replaced with a $50 deductible.
- Collision damage waiver coverage: When you use your card to rent a car for 15 days or less, your purchase is automatically covered. The specifics of this coverage depends on whether you selected Visa or Mastercard as your card’s payment network.
In addition to these perks, there are plenty of benefits that vary depending on whether you opt for a Visa or Mastercard nRewards Credit Card. There is a variety of travel and shopping benefits, so it’s important to do some research before making this decision.
If you are eligible for an NFCU account and are in the market for a secured credit card, know that the Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Secured credit card is an excellent option for building your credit and earning rewards without accruing excessive fees.
Further, this card may eventually be converted into a cash-back rewards card with a higher spending limit and competitive rate. With the wide variety of benefits and limited drawbacks, this is definitely a card you’ll want to consider applying for, if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Our Experts Recently Evaluated The Top 5 Credit Repair Companies Available.