Kohl’s credit card offered through Capital One is also known as the Kohl’s Charge Card. However, it is important to note that Kohl’s credit card is not a charge card. It is a closed-loop and traditional credit card specifically for purchases at Kohl’s stores.
A credit card allows you to carry a balance, while a charge card must be paid in full each month. If you are considering applying for a Kohl’s Card, read on in this review to get all the details so you can make an informed decision about whether this credit card is right for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 Kohl’s Credit Card Pros
- 2 Kohl’s Credit Card Cons
- 3 How to Get the Most Out of Your Kohl’s Card
- 4 Kohl’s Credit Card Fees
- 5 Kohl’s Credit Card Customer Service
- 6 How to Apply, Pay, and Cancel a Kohl’s Credit Card
Kohl’s Credit Card Pros
If you frequently shop at Kohl’s for you and your family, a Kohl’s credit card might be a savvy option for your spending.
- The card offers a 35% discount on your first purchase, as well as many special offers throughout the year.
- Some purchases may also qualify you for 5% cash back.
- Kohl’s also offers a Kohl’s Cash earn-period event where you can earn $10 for every $50 spent.
- If you spend $600 with your card before the end of the year, you are considered a Most Valued Customer (MVC) and become eligible for additional offers and free shipping events that occur monthly.
Ultimately, the pros of getting a Kohl’s Card boil down to whether you use it strategically to reap the biggest rewards.
What Credit Score Do You Need for a Kohl’s Card?
You will need fair to good credit to be eligible for a Kohl’s credit card, typically in the range of 580 to 699.
If you are looking for a way to build credit without taking on substantial debt, you already regularly shop at Kohl’s, and have a handle on your monthly personal budget, using a Kohl’s credit card may be a good way to build your credit.
Kohl’s Credit Card Cons
Kohl’s credit card is a closed-loop card, meaning you can only utilize the card with Kohl’s, and can not spend with it at any other retailer.
Additionally, while the Kohl’s credit card can offer additional savings if used in tandem with special savings events, keeping track of the limited-time events and rewards and how long they are available can be a headache.
Kohl’s Credit Card APR
The high APR of Kohl’s credit card means that if you do apply and use one, you will not want to carry a balance over month-to-month if you’re looking to avoid the high interest rate.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Kohl’s Card
To get the most out of your Kohl’s card, you may need to do a bit of financial and purchasing planning. Consider the following:
- You will receive a 35% discount on your first purchase with the card. If there’s a big-ticket item you have been waiting to buy, you may choose to make that your first purchase so you can utilize the 35% discount to its fullest advantage.
- Pay attention when you receive coupons in the mail and when Kohl’s offers sales and promotions that you can use your Kohl’s credit card for.
- Combine discounts you get with your Kohl’s card with other Kohl’s sales and coupons.
- Enroll in the Yes2You Rewards program. This program allows you to earn one point per dollar spent at Kohl’s, regardless of whether you are a cardholder or not.
- 100 points will result in a 5% cash-back equivalent ($5). The cash reward expires after 30 days of being issued, so you will need to plan and spend wisely.
- If you spend $600 in a calendar year with your Kohl’s credit card, you become a lifelong Most Valued Customer. The MVC status offers six additional mailing discounts per year, a gift on your birthday, and free shipping events each month.
To get the most value from your Kohl’s credit card, you may need to wait for certain items to go on sale or for coupon offerings that will get you the most discounts and savings for your items.
Enrolling in their specialized Yes2You program and becoming a MVC can also help you to earn savings while building credit over time.
Kohl’s Credit Card Fees
There is no annual fee for a Kohl’s credit card. There is also no foreign transaction fee. There is, however, a late fee and returned payment fee, both of which may equal up to $38.
Kohl’s Credit Card Customer Service
Unfortunately, Kohl’s customer service does not have outstanding ratings. If you need to contact Kohl’s customer service in general, you can call (855) 564-5705. If you need to contact customer service specifically for your Kohl’s Charge card, you can call (855) 564-5748.
You can also use the customer service webpage to search for an answer to a question or to obtain info on a specific topic.
How to Apply, Pay, and Cancel a Kohl’s Credit Card
You can manage your credit card online and through the Kohl’s mobile app.
Applying for a Kohl’s Credit Card
To apply for a Kohl’s credit card, you can first check to see if you are pre-qualified. A soft credit check will occur during pre-approval which will not affect your credit score. Pre-qualifying does not guarantee approval.
The starting credit limit for a Kohl’s Card is $300, but may be higher depending on your credit score. If you start with the $300 limit but wish to increase it, wait three to six months with regular use and on-time bill payments and you can call (800) 955-7070 to see if you can raise your limit.
Be aware that requesting a higher limit may require a hard credit check, which can lower your credit score for a time.
To apply for a Kohl’s card you will need the following information:
- Your name.
- Your date of birth.
- Your telephone number.
- Your address.
- Your email address.
- Your Social Security number.
Paying a Kohl’s Credit Card Bill
You can make a payment for your Kohl’s credit card in the following ways:
- Online and the mobile app: Making a payment online is the fastest way to pay your bill. You can pay online either through your Kohl’s credit card account or through the mobile app.
- In the store: You can make a payment for your Kohl’s credit card right in the store using cash, check, debit card, or money order.
- Over the phone: You can make a payment for your Kohl’s credit card over the phone by calling (855) 564-5748. You will need a bank routing number or a debit card to make an over-the-phone payment.
- By mail: You may mail a check to Kohl’s to make your credit card payment. For most credit card holders, the mailing address is:
Kohl’s Payment Center
P.O. Box 2983
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2983.
If you live in AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NC, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, or WV, you will need to mail your payment to:
Kohl’s Payment Center
P.O. Box 30510
Los Angeles, CA 90030-0510.
How to Cancel a Kohl’s Credit Card
If you open a Kohl’s credit card and decide that it is not right for you, you can always close your Kohl’s credit card account by calling (855) 864-5748. You can also contact customer service by logging into your online portal and sending them an email through the message center.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Our Experts Recently Evaluated The Top 5 Credit Repair Companies Available.