- Annual percentage rate (APR): 13.99% to 23.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for 18 months.
- Rewards: None.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: $39.
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (700-850).
- Compare cards here.
Table of Contents
- An 18-month 0% APR period: If you’re interested in financing a major purchase or transferring balances from high-interest credit cards, the HSBC Gold Mastercard could be a great choice for you. Many card issuers offer 0% APR periods for six months to a year, but this card offer from HSBC has a promotional period of 18 months. This can lead to dramatic savings. For instance, if you transfer $5,000 onto your new Gold Mastercard, you’ll save at least $537 in interest over the 18 months (assuming an APR of 13.99%).
- Fewer fees: With no annual fee, a competitive APR, no foreign transaction fees, and generous late payment policies (read more on this below), it’s clear that this card from HSBC prioritizes offering additional spending power without tagging on excessive costs. This allows you to pay down balances more quickly and save money more efficiently.
- Generous late payment policies: If you have the good or excellent credit rating required for this card, you probably don’t have a history full of missed payments. Nevertheless, everyone makes mistakes. Fortunately, there is no penalty APR associated with this card. This differs from some competitors, who may charge penalty rates nearing 30% for missed payments. Further, HSBC will waive late fees for a missed payment once each year upon request. Compared with some competing credit card offers, these policies make the HSBC Gold Mastercard a considerably more forgiving credit card option for individuals who might miss payments.
- No rewards: There are no rewards for HSBC Gold Mastercard users. While this is offset by the card’s generous policies as far as fees and penalties are concerned, the lack of rewards may be a turn-off for some consumers. If you prefer to maximize benefits such as cash-back rewards, air miles, sign-up bonuses, and so on, you should consider exploring other options.
- Balance transfer fees: There is a balance transfer fee of 4% for this card. Despite being a strong option for individuals looking to transfer balances from high-interest cards, there are other options on the market with lower balance transfer fees. In fact, some offerings may eschew such fees altogether on a limited-time basis. Then again, most credit cards of this nature do not also have an introductory 18-month 0% APR period. To determine whether the HSBC Gold Mastercard Credit Card suits your balance transfer needs, it’s important that you compare the potential savings of the introductory period with its 4% balance transfer fee. If this equals greater savings than competing cards, the Gold Mastercard could be a great fit for you.
- Limits on balance transfers for HSBC accounts: You may not perform balance transfers between HSBC accounts. While similar restrictions are commonplace for other credit card lenders, this is an important consideration that may impact the viability of this card for certain consumers.
What Can You Expect From the HSBC Gold Mastercard Credit Card?
In addition to the pros and cons discussed above, there are some additional considerations for people considering this card. Indeed, there are a variety of features and benefits available to HSBC cardholders. Read below for more information on these.
HSBC Mobile Banking App
The HSBC Mobile Banking App gives cardholders quick access to features such as:
- The ability to view e-statements;
- Bill payments;
- Real-time payments and transfers;
- In-app messaging for customer service.
The app is available for both Android and iOS devices. Note that users on both platforms have issues with the app’s slow performance, complicated login process, and lack of industry-standard features (such as the ability to lock your card from the app). However, other users state that recent updates have made the app far more user friendly. In addition, fingerprint and facial recognition login options have been added.
Other Perks for HSBC Cardholders
As a cardholder with HSBC, you’ll also have access to a few additional perks.
- Tap & Go® contactless payments: Rather than swiping or inserting your credit card to make payments, you can place your credit card near to a contactless payment terminal. This is an easy and convenient alternative.
- Fraud protection: All HSBC cardholders are automatically enrolled in a fraud alert program that includes free 24/7 account monitoring and 0% liability for unauthorized transactions.
- Check your FICO score: On your statements, you can see your FICO score for free, including key factors influencing your credit rating. This is useful for HSBC Gold Mastercard users looking to maintain or further improve their good credit score.
Who Should Get the HSBC Gold Mastercard Credit Card?
Are you considering making a large purchase in the near future? Or do you want to transfer balances from other credit cards so that you can take some time to address credit card debt? Individuals in either situation can benefit from the HSBC Gold Mastercard. Its no-nonsense focus on prioritizing saving money on fees can be hugely beneficial, even if its lack of rewards may be a deterrent for some consumers.
As you explore your credit card options, be sure to determine whether the HSBC Gold Mastercard credit card suits your needs. It could be an invaluable source of financial flexibility — all without causing you to waste money on extraneous fees.
Compare other balance transfer credit cards and learn more here.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!