Publix is a grocery chain found throughout the southeastern United States. In addition to grocery retail, Publix also offers check cashing and money order services.
Table of Contents
Does Publix Cash Checks?
Publix offers check-cashing services, with some fees and limitations. A government-issued form of identification is required for you to cash your checks, such as a
- Driver’s license;
- Military identification;
- State-issued identification card.
Publix offers convenience to individuals who need to cash a check, especially outside typical banking hours. With several locations throughout the southeastern United States, they offer payroll and personal check cashing services; they also sell money orders.
If you are in a bind and need your check cashed past standard banking hours, some locations can do so until 10 p.m. Although Publix locations are a place to grocery shop and conveniently cash a check, they are not a financial institution and have fiduciary limits.
Check Cashing Fees and Policies
Publix typically limits cashing services to personal and payroll checks. Although tax refunds, deposit checks from utilities, or rebate checks may be accepted at some locations, not all places will accept these types of checks. Consider the following information when cashing a check at Publix:
- Fees: The fees to have your check cashed can range from $3 to $6.
- Personal checks: Personal checks are accepted at or below $75 with a monthly limit of $75. You can use Publix to cash several checks as long as the combined total amount does not exceed $75.
- Payroll checks: You can cash payroll checks totaling up to $500 per week. That means you can cash several paychecks in a week, as long as the total combined amount does not exceed $500.
- Identification: You will need a driver’s license, military ID, or state-issued identification card to cash a check at Publix.
How to Cash a Check at Publix
Before you head to your closest Publix to cash a check, make sure to follow a few check-cashing protocols to save yourself from some potential setbacks:
- Ensure the check is legible and not bent or tattered;
- Ensure the sender has filled in all appropriate information correctly;
- Make sure you have not exceeded the limits for personal and payroll check cashing; have your identification ready to present to the clerk who handles your transaction;
- If you are cashing a payroll check, make sure all employer information is on the check (including the employer’s phone number).
Some Publix locations do not accept a handwritten check; if you have one, make sure that your local Publix will accept and cash it.
Additionally, depending on the store, the agent handling your transaction may call the business or person who wrote you the check. There are some cases where a store may not be able to cash a check because of the variance of cash on hand at the time. If you are unsure whether your check qualifies or whether the store will have enough readily available funds to cash your check, call Publix before you leave and find out.
Does Publix Do Money Orders?
You can buy a money order at Publix, but you cannot cash a money order.
Publix Money Order Fees and Policies
The following information will be helpful to anyone interested in buying a money order at a Publix location:
- Money transfer provider: All money orders are backed by Western Union.
- Limit: You can purchase a money order from Publix up to a value of $500.
- Fee: $0.85 to $0.89.
- Payment method: Fees must be paid with a debit card, cash, or prepaid card. They will not accept checks, credit cards, or gift cards.
How to Buy a Money Order at Publix
There are no special requirements to purchase a money order at Publix. You simply need to request one at the customer service desk, and pay with one of the approved forms of payment.
Location and Hours
Publix has 1,252 stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Store hours are typically 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. However, not all locations operate during those hours.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!