Discover it Secured Credit Card
- Annual percentage rate (APR): 22.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: None.
- Rewards: 1% – 2% cash back.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: $39, waived for the first late payment.
- Credit score: Poor or better (300+).
- Apply Today.
Table of Contents
The Discover it Secured Credit Card offers features and perks that may appeal to people who need a secured credit card.
- You can earn cash-back rewards: The Discover it Secured Credit Card is one of the few secured cards to offer rewards. Most of the Discover it Secured Card’s competitors do not offer cash-back rewards. Users can get 2% back at restaurants and gas stations for up to $1,000 in spending per quarter, which adds up to $20 back per quarter on spending at restaurants and gas stations. The card also pays 1% cash back on all other purchases. Discover currently promises to match all cash-back rewards at the end of the first year of card ownership.
- Discover helps you move to a regular credit card after eight months: If cardholders can manage their secured card account correctly and raise their credit score, Discover will review their account and transition them to a standard credit card. When this occurs, the company returns the security deposit. The first account review happens after eight months of card ownership.
- You can avoid fees often associated with secured credit cards: Discover does require a security deposit for its secured card. However, there are no annual fees, no monthly fees, and no account management or processing fees. The company waives the first late-fee penalty as well. Additionally, you get free access to your FICO credit score, which will let you know how soon you can transition from a secured credit card to a standard credit card.
The Discover it Secured Card has benefits for people who need a secured credit card, but it also comes with some drawbacks that potential users need to be aware of before applying.
- The minimum security deposit is $200: The Discover it Secured Credit Card does not have any fees, but you need to commit at least $200 as a security deposit. Discover does refund this money when you transition to a standard card or close the account. However, your credit limit is the same as your security deposit. If you wish to have a higher credit limit, you need to increase the amount of your security deposit.
- Discover performs a credit check on applicants: Some secured credit cards do not require a credit check. This check means that Discover reserves the right to reject an application, which could happen in some cases. For example, an application could get rejected because of a pending non-Chapter 7 bankruptcy case.
- Discover cards are not as widely accepted as Visa or MasterCard: Fewer vendors will accept Discover cards abroad, and some smaller businesses and mom-and-pop stores in North America may not accept Discover.
What Can You Expect From the Discover it Secured Card?
The Discover it Secured Credit Card provides access to Discover’s account management tools. Cardholders can manage their account, make payments, track spending, and set up automatic payments through Discover’s account management site. This site also gives users a chance to look at their FICO credit score.
Discover has a mobile app that lets you check your balance and track spending and rewards. These tools also enable you to set alerts so that you do not miss a payment or go over your credit limit.
Because secured credit cards require strict account management, the Discover site and app may prove especially useful.
When you make payments, you can apply your cash-back rewards to lower the actual amount of the payment.
Discover has U.S.-based customer support available by phone, chat, or email. The company provides cardholders with FICO credit score information, and they automatically review secured credit card accounts starting after eight months to assess eligibility for standard credit cards.
Who Should Get the Discover it Secured Credit Card?
The Discover it Secured Credit Card is for people who have a poor credit score or are trying to build a credit history. This card may be an attractive option because it offers cash-back rewards. This perk is very rare for a secured credit card.
Some people, such as those going through non-Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, may not qualify for this card, so they will have to apply for a secured card that does not perform a credit history check.
Perks like Social Security number monitoring, access to your FICO credit score, and the chance to use cash-back rewards when you pay your bill make the Discover it Secured Card an attractive option among secured credit cards.
However, some users may have issues with the security deposit requirements, which start at $200. If you do not default, this money gets returned, but you cannot withdraw it at any time until you close the account or qualify for a better card.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/