- Annual percentage rate (APR): 11.99% – 22.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for the first 14 months
- Rewards: 1% – 2% cash back.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: Up to $40.
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (680-850).
- Apply Today.
Table of Contents
The Discover it Chrome Card offers several benefits that make it stand out among fee-free cash-back credit cards.
- Generous introductory offer: The Discover it Chrome currently offers 0% APR for the first 14 months of card ownership. This offer covers purchases and balance transfers. Fourteen months without interest can seem especially attractive if you plan to make a large purchase, or you want to consolidate debts from other credit cards. Once the introductory period is over, the card will reset to a variable APR between 11.99% and 22.99%.
- You can double your cash-back rewards: Many Discover cash-back cards have an introductory cash-back-match bonus. The Discover it Chrome card offers this perk. Discover will match your total cash-back bonus for the first year of card ownership. The bonus means that cardholders get a total of 2% to 4% cash back on purchases for the first year. On the negative side, however, cardholders have to wait an entire year to get their full bonus.
- You can take advantage of cash-back categories: Purchases at gas stations and restaurants pay 2% cash back. This bonus percentage is valid for up to $1,000 in spending per quarter. Any other purchase that doesn’t qualify as restaurant or gas station spending earns 1% back. Some credit cards, including other Discover cards, require you to activate your special double-rewards categories. However, the Discover it Chrome pays the 2% cash-back rewards automatically.
- A wide range of additional perks: Discover also offers other perks. For example, you get free access to your FICO credit score with the Chrome card, and you can monitor your Social Security number for signs of identity theft. Discover also has a policy that forgives your first late payment.
The Discover it Chrome comes with drawbacks that could make it less than ideal for some credit card users.
- Other cards offer higher cash-back rates: The 2% cash-back reward that you get on gas station and restaurant expenditures is competitive for a fee-free card.
However, the fact that this bonus is limited to gas stations and restaurants and capped at $1,000 in spending can be a drawback for some. Some other cards provide 1.5% cash back on all purchases, while others offer up to 3% to 5% on special categories.
- Discover is not as widely accepted as Visa and MasterCard: While the Discover it Chrome card is useful online and at most stores, it is not as widely accepted outside of North America. Some mom-and-pop shops within U.S. borders may prefer or require MasterCard or Visa. International travelers may want to seek out a different credit card option.
- You need to wait a year for the full introductory bonus: The Discover it cash-back match bonus is great. However, you need to wait for an entire year to get your cash-back doubled. Some users may be disappointed with this long wait and will want to opt for a card that applies bonuses monthly.
What Can You Expect From the Discover it Chrome Card?
The Discover it Chrome card rewards are very easy to redeem when you pay your bill. Also, your rewards don’t expire, which means you can redeem them whenever you want.
Discover’s U.S.-based customer service, online account management portal, and mobile app make account management and tracking rewards easy. You can also access extra services, such as Social Security number monitoring and FICO credit score updates, through the web portal.
Unless you travel internationally often, you should not have any issues using your Discover it Chrome card.
Who Should Get the Discover it Chrome Card?
The Discover it Chrome Card is a good option for people who want a low-maintenance cash-back card. The introductory cash-back-match offer and 14-month 0% APR offers make it a solid choice for a fee-free cash-back card. People who want to make a large purchase or consolidate balances from other cards will find the Discover it Chrome especially attractive.
However, those who want to get serious about collecting cash-back rewards may be able to find cards that pay higher cash-back percentages in specific categories or have a higher cash-back rate but charge an annual fee.
For people who want a simple cash-back option that offers competitive rewards, extra perks, and good customer service, the Discover it Chrome Card is a worthwhile option.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!