- Annual percentage rate (APR): 11.99% – 22.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for the first 14 months.
- Rewards: 1% – 5% cash back.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: None for the first late payment and up to $40 after that.
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (700-850).
- Apply Today.
Table of Contents
- Cash-back rewards program: The Discover it Cash Back card has a generous cash-back rewards program that allows you to earn 5% cash back on select categories, such as groceries, restaurants, and gas. The company publishes a cash-back bonus calendar and the spending categories that are eligible for 5% cash back rotate every few months. Purchases not eligible for the 5% bonus are worth 1% cash back.
- No annual fee: Many credit cards, especially those with rewards programs and other benefits, may charge annual fees. With the Discover it Cash Back card, there’s no annual fee and the only time you’ll pay more than your balance is if you rack up interest, make a late payment, perform a balance transfer, or request a cash advance.
- Introductory 0% APR: For the first 14 months, you benefit from a 0% introductory APR. With over one year of no interest on your balance, you have time to pay off your purchases and get your balance to $0. After this introductory period, the APR that applies to you is determined by your credit score and other financial factors.
- Limited 5% cash-back rewards: The generous 5% cash-back rewards are limited to certain spending categories. There’s also a limit to the 5% cash-back rewards you can earn. Each quarter, you’re only eligible to receive these bonus rewards on $1,500 in eligible purchases. Once you reach this limit, your purchases only earn 1% cash back, no matter what spending category they’re in.
- Rotating cash-back bonus categories: The rotating 5% cash-back bonus calendar may be confusing and hard to keep track of. For example, in November and December, you’re eligible to earn 5% cash back on online purchases through Amazon, Target, and Walmart with your Discover it Cash Back card. To stay up to date with which spending categories earn you bonus cash back, check the calendar each quarter.
- Additional fees: In addition to the APR that applies to your unpaid balance after your introductory offer ends, there are additional fees associated with your account. Your first late payment is forgiven, but your second late payment and any late payment thereafter are subject to a fee of up to $40. If your payment is returned, it’s also susceptible to a fee of up to $40. Balance transfers cost 3% of the transaction amount for your 14-month introductory period and 5% after this period ends. You’re charged $10 or 5% of the transaction amount for a cash advance, whichever is greater.
What Can You Expect From the Discover it Cash Back Card?
When you sign up for a Discover online banking account, you can view your balance, review recent transactions, and pay your bill online. You can also download the Discover smartphone app and sign into your account from anywhere. Additionally, your online banking account gives you electronic access to customer service, allows you to report your card missing or stolen, and provides you with a free FICO credit score.
Redeeming Cash-Back Rewards
You don’t have to wait until you’ve reached a certain balance to redeem your rewards. However, you must redeem at least $20 if you plan to cash your rewards in for a gift certificate.
In addition to a gift card or e-certificate, you can redeem your cash-back rewards for charity donations, direct deposits, or purchases through Amazon or PayPal. You may also choose to redeem your cash-back rewards for statement credit.
As a Discover it Cash Back card holder, you can activate free Social Security number alerts. The company scans thousands of dark web sites and if your Social Security number is found on any of these sites, they’ll send you an alert. With an alert, you know to keep a close watch on your credit report to ensure you haven’t become the victim of identity theft.
If you lose your card or think it may have been stolen, you can instantly freeze your account. This prohibits any transactions, including purchases or cash advances, until you find the card or are issued a new one. Your Discover it Cash Back card also comes with a $0 fraud liability guarantee. If unauthorized transactions occur on your account, you’re not responsible for paying for them.
Who Should Get the Discover it Cash Back Card?
With a 0% APR introductory period, the Discover it Cash Back card is ideal for those who need to make a big purchase that they can pay off in 14 months. The generous cash-back rewards program includes a quarterly bonus calendar so this card is good for consumers who pay attention to their spending categories and when they make these purchases.
There are many perks to the Discover it Cash Back card. However, when applying for the card, it’s important to review its terms, including penalty and cash advance fees and interest rates.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Our Experts Recently Evaluated The Top 5 Credit Repair Companies Available.