- Annual percentage rate (APR): 22.49%.
- Purchase intro APR: N/A.
- Rewards: None.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: Up to $40.
- Credit score: No credit or limited history.
- Compare cards here.
Table of Contents
There are many benefits to this card, especially if you are starting your first line of credit.
- No annual fee: There is no annual fee for this card, meaning you don’t lose anything even if you only use the card periodically.
- Accepted worldwide: The Citi Secured Mastercard is accepted worldwide, making it a great choice if you’re looking for a card to travel with.
- Good for people with no credit history: This secured credit card is an excellent choice for people with no credit history. It is designed to help you establish a line of credit.
- Reports to all three credit bureaus: Citibank reports your payment history to all three credit bureaus, which is one reason why this card is ideal if you’re taking out your first line of credit.
- Free access to your FICO credit score: With this card, you’ll have free access to your FICO credit score, another reason why it’s good for new credit holders.
Drawbacks to this card involve potential fees and a lack of rewards.
- No rewards: There are no rewards offered with this credit card, which is normal for secured cards. If you have no or limited credit history, you can use the Citi Secured Mastercard to build up your credit score and apply for a card with a more robust rewards program later on.
- High APR: Secured cards tend to have higher APRs than unsecured cards. Since these cards help establish or reestablish credit, they are a riskier endeavor for banks. As a result, if you are ever late paying off your bill, a higher APR will entail a higher interest payment.
- Not good for people with bad credit: Although secured cards are usually good for people with no credit or bad credit, this one is only designed for people with little or no credit. Citi requires that applicants must not have declared bankruptcy in the past two years.
- Foreign transaction fee: Each time you use the card abroad, a 3% foreign transaction fee is applied.
- Requires a security deposit: This card requires a security deposit of at least $200, which needs to be paid within 14 days of opening an account. You can make a deposit of up to $2,500.
What Can You Expect From the Citi Secured Card?
You can expect all the same features associated with a big bank since the card is issued by Citi. Typical features of a big bank’s credit products include a mobile app and zero liability for unauthorized purchases. You can also expect the ability to manage your credit and easy access to your score. This card is great for transitioning to an unsecured card.
- Flexible payment due dates: Payment due dates can be adjusted to a schedule that works for you.
- Account alerts: You can set up account alerts to know when your card has been used or you have a payment due.
- Fraud liability protection: You will not be held liable for any unauthorized purchases made on your card.
- Citi Identity Theft Solutions: Citi Bank’s Identity Theft Solutions consists of a dedicated team of specialists prepared to help in the event that your identity is stolen.
- Citi mobile app: With the Citi mobile app, you can manage your account on the go.
Who Should Get the Citi Secured Card?
The Citi Secured Mastercard is ideal for people with limited to no credit history who are looking to build their score. Recent high school or college graduates and people wanting to buy a home or start a family in a few years are all excellent candidates. With no annual fee and free access to your FICO credit score, this card makes building credit easy.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!