- Annual percentage rate (APR): 13.24% to 19.24% (variable)(see rates and fees).
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for 12 months.
- Rewards: 2 points per $1 spent.
- Intro bonus: None.
- Annual fee: $0 (see rates and fees).
- Late fee: up to $30 for late fee and $30 for returned payments.
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (700-850).
- Compare cards here.
- Straightforward rewards program: Businesspeople get two American Express Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent, up to $50,000 per year. There are no categories for earning points. However, after $50,000, the rewards drop to one point per dollar. Cardholders can redeem points through the American Express rewards portal for travel, gift cards, or tickets. They can also use the points to get statement credits, much like a cash-back rewards card.
- No annual fee: Many business cards, American Express premium cards, and cards that offer more than one point per dollar in rewards have a yearly fee. The American Express Blue Business Plus does not have an annual fee, making it one of the best fee-free rewards cards. Some fee-free cards offer more than two points per dollar, but they require you to spend in specific categories, such as gas or travel, to earn a higher percentage.
- Useful business tools: Blue Business Plus cardholders have access to the American Express Business App, which they can use to track spending, manage receipts, and set account alerts. Account-holders can also get additional cards on the same account for their employees.
- Expanded buying power: American Express allows Blue Business Plus cardholders to make purchases above their credit limit. This feature could be useful for large business-related purchases. The balance above the credit limit is due at the end of the billing cycle, but you can carry the remaining balance to the next month.
- Other cards offer better rewards: Other business cards and other American Express credit cards offer more rewards points per dollar spent and perks for people who are willing to pay an annual fee.
- Rewards have limitations: Card users get two points per dollar, but they only get this amount up to $50,000 in spending per year. After you reach this threshold, the rewards ratio drops to one point per dollar. You still get the two-points-per-dollar up to $50,000, but businesses that spend far more money annually may wish to choose another card or get a second card to use once the Blue Business Plus reaches the $50,000 threshold. Small businesses that spend under $50,000 per year will not experience this drawback.
- Not widely accepted abroad: If you plan to travel overseas or your business involves international trips, you may run into several drawbacks. First of all, American Express is not as widely accepted abroad as Visa or Mastercard. Also, the Blue Business Plus has a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, which gets added to all overseas purchases (see rates and fees). Those who don’t travel or make purchases in other countries will not experience this issue.
Table of Contents
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express offers rewards and benefits to small business owners, including freelancers, contractors, and sole proprietors.
What Can You Expect From The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express?
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express offers cardholders access to Amex’s account management tools. In addition to online account management, users can track spending, check balances, and make payments on the American Express mobile app. Since the Blue Business Plus card is for businesses, you can also use the Amex Business App to track receipts and business spending.
In addition to 24/7 customer service, Blue Business Plus members have access to Amex’s business-specific Relationship Care Service. This service features customer care reps who have the training to deal with the needs of small businesses. The Global Assist Hotline, meanwhile, connects cardholders with third-party services should they need assistance while traveling.
Cardholders can redeem their points using the Membership Rewards online portal, where they can book travel, shop, and redeem points for gift cards.
Who Should Get The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express?
The American Express Blue Business Plus card is an ideal option for small business owners, including freelancers and contractors, who want to earn rewards and track spending with a business credit card, but do not want to pay an annual fee.
The foreign transaction fee and lack of broad acceptance overseas make this card a poor choice for business people who frequently travel abroad. However, users can get a different card for international spending and use the Blue Business Plus card while at home.
Those who want to earn more rewards will likely have to get a card with an annual fee. They will have to decide if that cost is worth the extra rewards-earning potential.
Because of its two-points-per-dollar rewards on all purchases in every category, small business people may wish to have the American Express Blue Business card in their wallet even if they use another card for business spending.
Since the American Express Blue Business Plus has no annual fee, it does not require an investment, and you can make it part of a multiple-credit-card business spending plan.
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!