- Annual percentage rate (APR): 30%;
- Purchase intro APR: None;
- Rewards: 1.25 – 2 miles per dollar spent;
- Annual fee: $899;
- Late fee: N/A;
- Credit score: Very good to excellent (740 to 850).
- Compare cards here.
- VIP perks: Being approved for Amex Canada’s AeroplanPlus Reserve card places you in a small group of cardholders with great credit and high income. You’ll have access to perks including:
- Unlimited access to Air Canada Maple Lounges in addition to 1,200 Priority Pass lounges;
- Priority Check-in;
- Free first checked bag;
- Amex concierge service;
- Valet service and Pearson Priority Security Lane at Pearson Airport in Toronto.
- Bonus offer: You’ll receive a welcome award of 50,000 Aeroplan bonus miles after you spend $3,000 within the first three months. That’s enough for a Business Class roundtrip ticket within Canada or the continental U.S. or a Premium Economy round trip ticket to Mexico or the Caribbean.
- Free annual Partner Ticket: Redeem miles for a short-haul or long-haul trip for yourself and receive a free companion ticket.
- High annual fee: The annual fee is among the highest at $899. Frequent travelers or business owners may be able to write off or offset the expense. If the fee is too high for comfort, consider the other two Amex Canada AeroplanPlus cards: the Platinum, with an annual fee for $499 per year with similar perks, or the Gold card for $120 per year with the fewest benefits.
- Additional cards are pricey: Adding another person to your card account will cost you $299 per year per additional card.
- Balance due in full each month: There is no minimum payment option with the AeroplanPlus Reserve card. Most American Express cards are charge cards, which work differently than a standard credit card. You’ll need to pay off the card’s balance in full each month or face high interest charges of 30% APR.
- $500,000 in travel accident insurance;
- Emergency medical insurance when traveling;
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurances;
- Purchase protection and buyer’s assurance;
- Lost or stolen bag insurance;
- Burglarized hotel room insurance;
- Flight and baggage delay insurances;
- Car rental theft and damage insurance.
- American Express Invites to special events;
- Front Of The Line by American Express to get access to concerts, theater, dining, and shopping experiences before the public.
- 50,000 welcome bonus miles, worth a Business Class round-trip ticket to Mexico or the Caribbean;
- A $200 annual travel credit;
- One free companion plane ticket per year;
- Unlimited access to Priority Pass and Air Canada Maple Lounges;
- Your first bag checked for free.
Table of Contents
What Can You Expect From the Amex Canada AeroplanPlus Reserve Card?
Having the top-tier AeroplanPlus Reserve card comes with many advantages. Considering the $899 annual fee, making use of all the benefits available will help you recoup your investment.
Coverages and Benefits
American Express is known for the level of protection it provides its cardholders. Besides the number of travel perks, there are several types of insurance coverages:
VIP Lounge Access
You’ll have unlimited access to 1,200 airport lounges and Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounge while you wait for your flight.
Aeroplan Miles may be redeemed for Air Canada and Star Alliance partner airlines including United Airlines, Singapore Airlines, and Lufthansa. Besides flights, you can redeem miles for merchandise, hotel stays, experiences, concerts, and vacations.
Amex Canada Mobile App
Download the Amex Canada mobile app to manage your Reserve card at any time. Schedule payments, review charges, and stay on top of your Aeroplan Miles from your smart device using the Amex Canada app. You’ll also be able to find deals just for you at nearby retailers and take advantage of tailored offers through the app, such as:
Who Should Get the Amex Canada AeroplanPlus Reserve Credit Card?
If you’d like access to events and experiences before most people hear about them and prefer a high level of amenities and services when traveling, the Amex Canada AeroplanPlus Reserve card may be worth the $899 annual fee. The fee may be high, but the card comes loaded with many features that make travel, entertainment, and shopping a pleasure.
If you need to justify the $899 per year, consider the following benefits and perks included with your card membership:
In addition, you’ll receive several coverages for purchases, travel, and medical, as well as the opportunity to earn 1.25 miles on your spending and two miles on Air Canada purchases, so you can travel for free a little sooner.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!