- Annual percentage rate (APR): 30%;
- Purchase intro APR: None;
- Rewards: 1.25 – 1.50 miles per $1 spent;
- Annual fee: $499;
- Late fee: N/A;
- Credit score: Very good to excellent (740 to 850).
- Compare cards here.
- Bonus offer: Get approved for the AeroplanPlus Platinum card and you’ll receive 40,000 Aeroplan Miles as a bonus after you spend $3,000 within the first three months. You could redeem the miles for two free roundtrip tickets within Canada or the continental U.S. or one ticket to the Caribbean or Mexico.
- Elevated miles earnings: American Express Canada has three AeroplanPlus cards. The Platinum is an upgrade from the Gold card and bumps up your miles-earning capability to 1.25 miles (instead of one) per dollar for the first $25,000 in spending and 1.50 per dollar spent after the first $25,000.
- VIP travel: You’ll have access to over 1,200 airport lounges around the world, complimentary valet service at Pearson Airport in Toronto, and Priority Check-in with Air Canada. Plus, you can bring a friend along for free on a short-haul trip using the annual Partner Ticket benefit.
- High annual fee: The annual fee of $499 is one of the highest of all credit cards. If you’re a frequent traveler, you may be able to offset the annual fee by taking advantage of the number of benefits the card comes with. Otherwise, you may be better off applying for the AeroplanPlus Gold Card, with an annual fee of $120.
- Balance due in full each month: American Express AeroplanPlus cards work a little differently than a standard credit card. They’re considered a charge card, with no pre-set spending limit and they have a requirement that balances must be paid in full each month. Monitor your spending closely to ensure you can pay the full amount off when due.
- High penalty APR: American Express will charge you a 30% APR on late or unpaid balances.
- $500,000 in travel accident insurance;
- Emergency medical insurance when traveling;
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurances;
- Purchase protection;
- Lost or stolen bag insurance;
- Burglarized hotel room insurance;
- Flight and baggage delay insurances;
- Car rental theft and damage insurance.
Table of Contents
What Can You Expect From the Amex Canada AeroplanPlus Platinum Review Card?
The American Express Canada AeroplanPlus Platinum Card is ideal for flyers interested in higher-end travel experiences. The card comes with plenty of travel perks and the chance to earn free travel if you understand how the card works.
Several Redemption Options
Although the card is labeled as the AeroplanPlus card for Air Canada flyers, miles may be redeemed for international flights on partner airlines from the Star Alliance Network including United Airlines, Swiss Air, and Singapore Airlines. You also have the option of purchasing merchandise and booking hotels, vacations, or experiences with your miles.
If you fly in and out of Toronto, you’ll receive complimentary valet service and access to a designated security lane when you fly out of Pearson Airport. In addition, you could wait for your flight at one of 1,200 airport lounges, including Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounge.
Manage your account online or by using the Amex Canada mobile app. You’ll be able to monitor card activity, schedule payments, and manage your Aeroplan Miles from your smart device.
American Express is well known for the benefits it provides cardholders. Besides the number of travel perks, there are several types of insurance coverages available to Platinum cardholders:
Who Should Get the Amex Canada AeroplanPlus Platinum Credit Card?
The AeroplanPlus Platinum card by American Express is ideal for business travelers or frequent flyers who’d like to take advantage of access to airport lounges and Priority Check-in with Air Canada. Although the benefits included add excellent value, it’s hard to ignore the $499 annual fee. Ultimately, you’ll need to evaluate carefully if the card is worth $499 per year to you.
The first year should be simple enough to justify — you’ll receive 40,000 bonus miles, enough for a couple of short-haul plane tickets within Canada or to the continental U.S. And then there’s the annual companion ticket. If you’re able to travel at least once or twice per year, use the free annual companion ticket to bring a partner along, relax at an airport lounge, and save on rental car insurance by using the card’s included coverage, then the card’s annual fee may be worthwhile.
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!