Often people find themselves strapped for cash for many reasons, such as:
- An illness or injury;
- A change of employment status;
- Loss of income;
- Natural disasters;
- Loss of a loved one.
No matter the reason, people facing these financial emergencies may find it hard to pay their recurring bills or other expenses. Luckily, amid the gig economy, making extra money outside your regular income is easy.
Side hustles are jobs that are flexible so they can be performed in tandem with your regular job. While they may not be lucrative enough to fully support you, they do offer relief from debt and can help people toward their financial goals.
Below is a curated list of the best legal ways to make $1,000 fast:
Table of Contents
Decluttr is an app that allows you to sell your old technology. The site offers sellers a free valuation of their items, so sellers don’t have to worry about auctions or fees. Additionally, Decluttr makes it easy for sellers to post prices because their valuators tell you how much to sell your items for.
Decluttr lets you sell items such as:
- Video games;
After the valuation and the price offer, sellers mail their devices for free with a shipping label provided by the site. Users can expect payment within a few business days either by direct deposit, PayPal, or they can donate their earnings to a charity of their choice. Lastly, Decluttr users can obtain new tech at low prices through the site’s online store.
Postmates is a popular food delivery service that you could use to make some extra cash on nights and weekends. To become a part of the “fleet,” you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Own a smartphone and download the Postmates app;
- Pass a background check.
Conveniently, you don’t have to have a car to partake in the delivery service. You can deliver Postmates on a bike or on foot, and the service will provide insulated bags and a prepaid card (to pay for the order if it isn’t already paid for) to help you deliver food.
Additionally, Postmates will pay you for miles traveled, time spent waiting on orders, and how many orders you complete in an hour.
Postmate Fleet workers get paid weekly through direct deposit. However, you can control how fast you get your money by enabling the instant deposit perk. Lastly, Postmates drivers keep 100% of the tips they make.
3. Capital One Shopping
If you shop online regularly, you may benefit by shopping through Capital One Shopping. This app allows you to save money on purchases you already make by searching the internet for coupons and applying them at checkout.
Some people may remember this app as Wikibuy; Capital One acquired the company in 2018. The best way to use this tool is to install the browser extension that works silently while you shop.
Once the extension is installed, it will pop up with handy coupons when you are ready to check out. It also helps you compare prices so you can determine if you’re getting the best deal. Additionally, users can earn shopping credits on purchases when they shop through retail partners.
Swagbucks lets users complete surveys and other tasks to earn SBs, Swagbucks’s branded virtual currency. When users earn enough SBs, they can exchange them for gift cards and cash. Signing up for an account is free, and you can earn SBs in a variety of ways including:
- Taking surveys;
- Watching videos;
- Shopping through Swagbucks;
- Using the Swagbucks search engine;
- Playing games;
- Referring friends to the site;
- Buying gift cards through Swagbucks.
Users can obtain money through PayPal, or get gift cards to several large retailers including Amazon, Starbucks, and Target. To make money, Swagbucks earns a commission from links you click as well as from advertising.
One of the most popular ways to make money from Swagbucks is through their surveys. Swagbucks sends surveys to you based on your demographics, and you receive new ones every day in your account. However, you may not qualify for some surveys, but can still be compensated for your time.
Outschool is a platform where you can teach a class of your creation, and are not limited to traditional subjects like math, history, or English. This particular platform caters to children, from kindergarten to high school.
Teachers have the option to create a one-time class, an ongoing course, or a summer course. The unique angle of Outschool is that it is up to the teacher to create the topics and the curriculum.
You can teach a variety of topics such as:
- Escape rooms;
Teachers get paid when students sign up for their classes. Outschool provides payment through PayPal. While a teaching degree is not required, there are criteria that teachers must meet:
- Class content should align with Outschool’s content policy;
- Teachers must meet community standards regarding professionalism and communication;
- Teachers need reliable internet service and a computer;
- Teachers need basic knowledge of classroom administration;
- Teachers must have a good command of written and spoken English;
- Teachers must reside in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.
- Teachers must be at least 18 years old and pass a background check.
Additionally, Outschool has no startup fees, so aspiring teachers can start this side hustle with no financial investment.
Fiverr is a freelance platform that allows you to complete projects at your discretion. Users create an account for free and start to set up Gigs. People looking for your services can find you and communicate with you through the site. When you complete an order, the customer pays you. Services you can offer include:
- Writing and translation;
- Graphic design;
- Digital marketing;
- Video and animation;
- Music and audio;
- Programming and tech;
- Business services;
- Lifestyle services.
While there are no subscription or listing fees, users typically get paid 80% of each transaction (the rest goes to Fiverr). Additionally, you can set your prices by offering a whole Gig package or different versions of your Gig. Fiverr also offers a learning platform and guides that sellers can use to kickstart their Gigs.
TaskRabbit is a platform that allows you to perform errands for people in your location. Users can help (or receive help) for a variety of errands and tasks such as:
- Handyman services;
- Hauling services;
- Home repair;
- Painting services;
- Yard cleanup;
- Furniture installation and removal.
Taskers (people who perform tasks on the platform) can set their hourly pay rate as well as have the potential to earn tips. To apply, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Have a checking account;
- Have a smartphone;
- Pass background and identification checks.
You must also provide a short pitch on what you do best, which can help you land more tasks. If TaskRabbit accepts your application, you’ll be charged a non-refundable $25 registration fee. To become successful on this app, Taskers must generate positive reviews with each job and come highly recommended.
Airbnb is a room-sharing and vacation rental platform that allows you to rent out your extra rooms or homes to visitors. Depending on the room rates in your area, you could make a substantial amount of money through this side gig.
Airbnb can help hosts determine their room rates based on their location and the size of the rental. People can also capitalize on Airbnb Experiences, which allows people to host unique activities for tourists in their area. To become a successful host, you must:
- Be responsive to reservation requests;
- Provide basic amenities such as toilet paper and soap;
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Review local laws to ensure you are hosting responsibly in your city.
Hosts may need to set a budget aside for their rentals, as Airbnb charges hosts 3% of the income every time a booking is completed. Additionally, most cities have a short-term lodging rental tax which can range from 9% to 18% of your income.
Lastly, hosts will want to make sure they have the proper insurance to protect their rental and belongings from damage or theft. To offset these costs, hosts can charge guests accordingly.
9. Virtual Assistant
With the rise of remote work, virtual assistants (VAs) have become exceedingly popular. These types of assistants can help businesses with simple administrative tasks or more technical support problems.
Typically, VAs are paid hourly, with some businesses preferring part-time employees. The general pay scale ranges from $20 to $50 an hour depending on experience. Common tasks associated with VAs include:
- Customer support;
- Administrative support;
- Social media management;
- Website management;
- Email marketing;
- Facebook ads;
VAs can set their rates, create a business name, and choose the types of clients they want to work with most. Since businesses are typically looking for part-time assistants, VAs can work multiple jobs at once to earn a bigger income.
How to Prevent Financial Emergencies
Financial emergencies are often stressful. To prevent these situations in the future, consider the following best practices:
- Create a budget: Budgets can help you gain insight into your spending habits and give you peace of mind. By creating a budget, you can ensure you spend money on the essential items first, such as bills.
- Start an emergency fund: It’s important to save money so you avoid financial emergencies. One option is to allocate a certain amount of money each month to your savings and implement it into your budget. By treating it as a bill, you can ensure you will pay it.
- Avoid creating more debt: While payday loans and credit cards may seem like an immediate solution, you are still responsible for paying off the full amount. If you cannot, you could be trapped paying high interest rates, which can lengthen your financial emergency.
While these strategies are not immediate solutions, they can help prevent financial emergencies in the future.
Things to Consider Before Starting a Side Hustle
Side hustles are tempting, however, there are a few considerations to keep in mind before you start one:
- Make sure you have enough time to avoid burnout;
- Make sure you are not increasing your debt by investing in a side hustle;
- Charge enough money to justify your effort;
- Talk with your primary employer before taking on another job to ensure there is no conflict of interest;
- Invest in classes or tools to help your side hustle become successful;
- Network with others in the industry to learn from them;
- Set an earnings goal for how much you want to make per week or month;
- Watch out for work-from-home scams;
- Keep track of taxes.
Whether you are living on a limited income, have too much debt, or wish to save money, side hustles can help you reach financial goals if used wisely. By choosing your side gig carefully and considering all the expectations and responsibilities, you can make extra income to help you achieve financial freedom.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!