- Annual percentage rate (APR): 12.99% to 21.99%.
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for six months.
- Rewards: 1% to 2% cash back.
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: Up to $40.
- Credit score: Fair to Good (570 to 750).
- Good for building credit: The Discover it Chrome Student card is great for students with short or no credit histories looking to build up a history of good credit. The card is specifically designed for students, and reports to all three credit bureaus so that cardholders can begin to build good credit through responsible credit use.
- Rewards for students: The card offers 2% cash back on gas and restaurant spending, two categories that students are likely to spend in. The card also offers a cash-back match for the first year, doubling potential earnings. Students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher are also eligible for a $20 statement credit each school year.
- Low fees and late payment forgiveness: The Discover it Chrome Student Credit Card is designed for students just starting out. The card has no annual fee, making it an affordable option for students looking for budget-friendly fee-free cards. The card also waives the late fee on a cardholder’s first late payment, making it a good option for students who are still getting the hang of financial responsibility.
- Moderate rewards: While the Discover it Chrome Student Credit Card offers cash-back rewards in some common spending categories, it doesn’t have much else to offer when it comes to rewards. Students interested in maximizing their rewards potential may be able to qualify for cards with more lucrative rewards and bonuses.
- Not great for travel: While the card doesn’t charge any foreign transaction fees, Discover cards aren’t universally accepted in other countries. This means that the card might not be a good fit for students planning on traveling extensively or studying abroad. The card also isn’t available to international students.
Table of Contents
What Can You Expect From the Discover it Chrome Student Credit Card?
The Discover it Chrome Student card is a great choice for students looking to build good credit and earn rewards for common purchases. With 2% back on restaurants and gas, no annual fee, and free reporting to all three credit bureaus, it’s a solid beginner card.
Simple Cash-Back Rewards
Cardholders earn rewards for every purchase they make with the card, with a rate of 2% cash back for gas and restaurants and 1% cash back for everything else. Cash-back rewards can be applied as a statement credit, but can also be deposited straight into your bank account.
No Annual Fee
One of the major perks of the Discover it Chrome Student card is that there’s no annual fee. This makes it an accessible, affordable option for students who may not have the budget for the extra fees often associated with rewards credit cards.
Great for Students
This card does a lot of things right when it comes to helping out students. The card is a great way for students with no credit history to begin building good credit, and borrowers with no or spotty credit histories are welcome to apply.
The card also offers extra rewards for good grades and friend referrals, as well as a cash-back match for the first year. If you forget to pay your bill one month, the card offers late fee forgiveness for your first missed payment. All of these features make it a great beginner card for students who are still learning the ins and outs of personal finance.
Low Intro APR
The low intro APR is another appealing feature of the Discover it Chrome Student card. With 0% APR for the first 12 months, it gives students time to develop familiarity with using a credit card and paying off their balance each month before it starts accumulating interest.
Who Should Get the Discover it Chrome Student Card?
The Discover it Chrome Student card is a great fit for students new to the world of personal finance who are looking to build good credit and earn rewards on their purchases. It has a ton of student-friendly policies such as rewards for good grades and a cash-back match for the first year.
The card might not be the best fit for financially savvy students looking to maximize their rewards benefits. It’s also not a good option for students who plan to travel or study abroad, since Discover cards aren’t always accepted in other countries. The card isn’t available to international students, and students must be at least 18 years old to qualify. For students looking for a beginner-friendly card with decent perks, however, the Discover it Chrome Student card is an attractive option.
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!