- Annual percentage rate (APR): 14.74% to 24.74%.
- Purchase intro APR: 0% for 18 months.
- Balance transfer APR: 0% for 18 months.
- Rewards: None
- Annual fee: $0.
- Late fee: None
- Credit score: Good to Excellent (700-850).
- Compare cards here.
- No fees or penalty rate increases: The Citi Simplicity card is rare among credit cards because it does not levy late fees or increase the interest rate when a cardholder pays after the due date. The Simplicity card does not have an annual fee, either. The only fee to worry about is a penalty for a returned payment. If you do not have funds in your bank account to cover a payment, Citi charges $29 for the first fault and $40 for subsequent bounced checks.
- Long introductory APR period: The Citi Simplicity offers a 0% APR on balance transfers and purchases for 18 months. The balance transfer offer comes with a 3% fee, but it is one of the longest 0% APR periods currently available to credit card customers. Cardholders have nearly two years to pay off balance transfers before incurring interest, which could be very useful for paying down debt. They can likewise make and pay off large purchases without interest.
- Simple terms: As its name suggests, the Simplicity card offers straightforward terms. There is no rewards program to worry about, no annual fees, and the interest rate won’t change if you miss a payment.
- The ability to change payment due dates: Another customer-friendly feature is the ability to change the due date for your monthly payment. For example, if you change jobs, you can alter your due date to come after your new payday.
- Balance transfer fees: The balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred. This percentage is about average for the industry, but it could add up if you transfer a large balance or transfer from multiple cards. Because of this fee, balance transfers are not totally free.
- High foreign transaction fee: The Citi Simplicity card has one drawback for international travelers. It has a 3% foreign transaction fee, which is high for the industry. If you do not travel internationally, the fee is not a problem. Frequent travelers, however, may want to get a card with no foreign transaction fee and use the Simplicity card while at home.
- No rewards program: The Citi Simplicity card does not have a rewards program. This fact might be a positive for people who wish to keep their credit card management simple, but it is a drawback for those who want to earn points or miles for travel or who want to get cash-back rewards. Cardholders who want to take advantage of the Simplicity’s benefits may want to consider getting a separate credit card specifically for rewards purposes.
- Good credit required: You need a good or excellent credit score to qualify for this card. This fact may be frustrating for people who want to take advantage of the no-late-fee feature or introductory APR. However, if you take steps to increase your credit score, you can eventually qualify for the Citi Simplicity card.
Table of Contents
The Citi Simplicity Card offers a long 0% APR introductory period, and it does not charge late fees for missed payments.
What Can You Expect From the Citi Simplicity Card?
Citibank offers 24/7 customer support with a direct-to-representative policy that lets customers communicate with service reps any time. This always-available customer service is valuable if your card gets lost or stolen. You can contact Citi to report your card missing regardless of when you lose it.
Cardholders can manage their account online via the Citi website. They can also download the Citi card app, available on Android and iOS, and manage their account via a mobile device. In addition to setting up payments and tracking balances, cardholders can set account alerts to notify them of due dates, credit limits, and monthly spending limits.
Citi also has a no-liability policy for fraudulent charges for both in-person and online purchases.
Simplicity cardholders are able to connect their card to a digital wallet, which they can use to pay via smartphone. The card itself also has a contactless payment chip (NFC chip).
Who Should Get the Citi Simplicity Card?
The Citi Simplicity is an ideal choice for people with good credit who want a simple card that offers fee-free usage. The lack of late payment fees and penalty interest rates is attractive to all card users.
Those who want to transfer balances from other cards can take advantage of the Simplicity’s long introductory 0% APR period. The balance transfer fees are about average for the industry, so you can consolidate credit card debt and have a year and a half to pay back the money before you start incurring interest.
The same introductory APR can help people who want to make a larger purchase and then pay it off over 18 months without interest. Provided the purchase does not exceed your credit limit, you can get the equivalent of 18 months of interest-free financing with this card.
People seeking rewards will not benefit from the Simplicity card since it has no rewards program. However, those who want to enjoy the Simplicity’s perks, such as no late fees and the generous intro APR period, can get another card for earning rewards and use the Simplicity for balance transfers and purchases.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!