is constantly looking for new and innovative ways to enhance the shopping experience for its customers. And the Walmart Reloadable Card is the retailer’s latest product to make shopping — and banking — more accessible and convenient for customers, regardless of their credit scores.
Table of Contents
What Is a Walmart MoneyCard?
The Walmart MoneyCard is different from a traditional rewards credit card, such as the Walmart credit card. It’s a reloadable prepaid debit card — you’ll be able to make purchases anywhere Visa or Mastercard is accepted using the funds available and earn rewards on all your Walmart spending.
Besides being a credit card alternative, the card works as a banking solution, thanks to its affiliation with Green Dot Bank. You can order checks or use online bill pay to pay bills and receive your paycheck straight into your MoneyCard by setting up direct deposit.
If you’re unable to qualify for a traditional credit card or would like to avoid getting into card debt, the Walmart MoneyCard is a good solution. Take a closer look at what other features the card comes with:
If you’re a frequent Walmart shopper, you can earn cashback on your purchases, for up to $75 per year in rewards. The earnings depend on the purchase:
- Earn a reward of 3% cashback when you pay with the card at Walmart.com;
- Get 2% cashback at Walmart fuel stations;
- Get back 1% in cash at Walmart stores.
The Walmart MoneyCard comes with a $5.94 monthly maintenance fee, which can be waived if you reload the card with at least $1,000 per month. Other fees include:
- First-time purchase of a MoneyCard: $1.00;
- Cash reload fee: $5.95 or $3 at Walmart stores;
- ATM withdrawal fee: $2.50;
- ATM balance inquiry fee: $0.50;
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%;
- Pack of 12 paper checks: $5.95;
- Card replacement fee: $3 for regular delivery or $15 for expedited delivery.
The Walmart MoneyCard doesn’t require a credit check. It’s a good option for customers with an imperfect credit history who are unable to open a traditional bank account or can’t qualify for a credit card.
How to Reload Walmart MoneyCard
There are a few ways to reload a Walmart MoneyCard:
- Using the Walmart MoneyCard app for free cash reloads at Walmart stores;
- Cash checks for free and load the funds on your card at Walmart stores;
- Set up direct deposit to receive your paycheck or benefits for free;
- Use Rapid Reload to deposit cash at Walmart cash registers for $3;
- Send between $20 and $500 to someone’s MoneyCard for $5.95 using MoneyPak;
- Receive bank transfers to your card for free, although the sending bank may charge a fee.
Walmart MoneyCard Pros
When choosing a credit card, there are a few reasons why you may prefer the Walmart MoneyCard over alternatives:
- No credit check required;
- Funds are safe and FDIC insured through Green Dot Bank;
- Free card reload options;
- More flexible than a secured credit card thanks to the banking features;
- No interest charges;
- Earn cash rewards on Walmart store, online and gas station purchases;
- Besides online bill pay, checks are available for bill payments;
- Receive your paycheck or benefits by direct deposit and get paid up to four days ahead of time.
Walmart MoneyCard Cons
Think about the following drawbacks to make sure the Walmart MoneyCard is right for you:
- Comes with a $5.94 monthly fee if you load less than $1,000 per month;
- Some reload options cost $3 or $5.95;
- ATM fee of $2.50 for withdrawals;
- Walmart may not be responsible for missing money if you don’t report the card lost or stolen within two business days of the event;
- You won’t build credit using the MoneyCard.
How to Apply for a Walmart MoneyCard
To sign up for a Walmart MoneyCard:
- Purchase a card at a local Walmart store for $1 or order one online;
- Sign up for an account online and register the card;
- Download the MoneyCard app.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/
Want a FREE Credit Evaluation from Credit Saint?
A $19.95 Value, FREE!