A Guide to Starting an Online Jewelry Business
If you’ve always had an affinity for jewelry and design, you may be tempted to open your own online jewelry business. Small business owners can thrive with advancements in mobile technology and the jewelry business is expected to continue growing. According to Statista, the value of the global luxury jewelry market was $279 billion in 2019 and is expected to increase to $480.5 billion by 2025.
As an online jewelry business owner, you can harness your creativity, gain influence in the competitive jewelry industry, and potentially earn a profit. However, starting an online business requires hard work, a solid business plan, and initial investments. Review this guide to find out more about how to navigate the obstacles you could face when launching your online jewelry business.
Table of Contents
- 1 Requirements to Start an Online Jewelry Store
- 2 Tips to Establishing Your Own Retail Jewelry Brand
Requirements to Start an Online Jewelry Store
If you planned to sell your jewelry in a brick-and-mortar retail store, you’d need to invest in a space, interior design services, staff, and inventory. You don’t have to worry about these startup costs as an online jewelry store owner, but there are other expenses you’ll incur when you launch your site.
For example, you’ll need to snag and maintain a domain name for your store and factor in your marketing costs. As a small business owner, you’ll also need to consider the investment required to source and obtain inventory, as well as the shipping costs you may incur. Understanding how these costs affect your initial investment and profits will help you better understand the startup money you’ll need to launch your business successfully.
How to Create a Retail Business Plan for Selling Jewelry
Your e-commerce store needs a detailed business plan before you even begin designing your jewelry. Creating a business plan for your small business is crucial so you’re aware of the startup costs associated with your launch and your projections for growth. When you put together your business plan, include the following:
- Company overview: An overview is a way for you to define your business and what you’ll do. This section should provide information on the type of business you’re opening, the products you’ll sell, your objectives, and your mission.
- Market analysis: Through market research, you can analyze your target market to ensure your business will earn a profit. Identify the type of consumer your business will attract so you know how to develop your brand and market your products successfully.
- Financial plan and projections: Knowing your initial investment and potential profit is key to growth and longevity. Computerized accounting is a way to keep track of cash flow automatically, saving you time and ensuring accuracy. When you implement accounting software, you have a simple, quick, and automated way to keep track of your finances. Many small businesses use QuickBooks to keep track of their finances because you can access your business’s online account from anywhere.
How to Source Jewelry
The quality of your jewelry pieces relies on where you obtain your supplies. You can source jewelry pieces and supplies through foreign or domestic wholesalers or manufacturers. Your supplier must offer high-quality materials that fit the designs you want to create but that also fit your financial projections. You may need to vet several different potential suppliers and analyze their products before deciding which company you want to establish a relationship with.
Another option is to create products yourself using a 3D printer. Your initial investment into a 3D printer is likely to be substantial and you may need to set time aside to learn how to use all the printer’s features. However, once you get set up with your 3D printer, you’ll have complete creative control over your products, offering endless designing possibilities.
Registering Your New Online Jewelry Store
Whether you’re opening an online clothing store, jewelry store, or brick-and-mortar shop, you must decide the type of business you want to start. There are many types of businesses but the most common is a limited liability company (LLC) or sole proprietorship.
With a sole proprietorship, your personal and business assets are grouped together so you file your business taxes along with your personal taxes. If you opt to open an LLC instead, your business remains separate from your personal finances. Before deciding on the type of business that’s best for you, consult with a legal professional.
As you consider different names for your business, it’s important to determine if a name you like is already taken. Use a search engine to find out if a name has already been claimed by a business or consult your county clerk records. Even if a business name is available, check that the domain associated with the name hasn’t already been taken. Your marketing efforts will be much easier if you can obtain the domain that corresponds specifically to your company name.
Tips to Establishing Your Own Retail Jewelry Brand
Your branding and message is the key to attracting your target market. Without strong and cohesive branding, it’s hard for consumers to understand what you have to offer or to connect with your brand’s personality.
Consider how your brand is different than others in the same retail space and be sure your marketing and branding show off your unique characteristics. When you create a brand using attractive colors and styles, you’ll carve out a distinctive brand voice that draws consumers to your products.
How to Design Your Own Jewelry Online
To design your jewelry, you can use software or another online resource that helps make the process easier. Some of the most popular platforms that can assist you in designing your own jewelry online include the following:
- Adobe Illustrator: This software communicates with many other cloud-based applications, making it easy to save and edit your designs. You’ll gain access to a variety of effects, complex vector objects, and freeform gradients.
- Tinkercad: If you’re just starting out in the jewelry designing world, you may benefit from Tinkercad. It’s a simple program that offers 3D renderings of your designs through your internet browser.
- RhinoGold: Experienced jewelry designers who want to create intricate and detailed renderings may opt for RhinoGold. This software allows designers to start from scratch and create many types of pieces, such as body rings, pendants, and earrings.
- Matrix: If you’re already well-versed in using CAD software for designs, Matrix will help you create 3D models of your ideas so you can see how they look and move. Follow step-by-step instructions to create your own piece, then add the advanced details available through the software to make your design unique.
Jewelry Retail Marketing Tips
Before you develop a marketing campaign for your online jewelry store, it’s important to clearly identify your target audience. Consider the message you’re communicating to your audience. Think about the offers they’re likely to take advantage of and where your target consumers are likely to see your advertising.
When you deliver a clear brand identity through attractive messaging, you’re bound to develop a following of loyal brand advocates. These consumers will share your online content with additional followers, rave about your product to friends and family, and become repeat customers.
Keeping an eye on your marketing analytics and growing client base is also crucial to ensure your campaigns and designs are performing well. If you’re not finding success in your marketing or with certain products, make changes that will attract more business.
Before you launch your online jewelry business, develop a solid business plan that includes financial projections. Once you’ve identified your target market and created a cohesive brand, you’re ready to establish yourself in the competitive online jewelry industry.
Image Source: https://depositphotos.com/